Online Bible Study

Online Bible Study

Saturday, January 4, 2014

2014 - the Year to Read Through the Bible!

THIS IS THE YEAR!  I am going to do it!  I MUST!  I am really motivated to "grow up" this year.  Don't get too excited, I will still act like a child with my daughters and my granddaughter; but will focus my "free" time on Him and learning (maybe a little less Netflix).

As I began my reading this week, I thought I would note a few Scriptures/ideas I came across that were reminders of what matters (or just plan fascinating).

This week, our Bible reading plan kept us in four books of the Bible:  Genesis, Ezra, Matthew and Acts.  These are the points that stand out!

    • Genesis 4:25-26 The Birth of Seth:  Eve said, "God has granted me another son in place of Abel, whom Cain killed.  When Seth grew up, he had a son and named him Enosh.  At that time people first began to worship the Lord by name."  My Study Bible says this in the notes:  This is the first instance Scripture records of God's people coming together to worship him (Beth Moore says the first time something is mentioned in His Word, it's important - this Scripture does NOT disappoint).  The name Enosh means frail man-better highlighting the humble God worship in the line of Seth (in contrast with the self worship of the line of Cain).  The humble reliance on God from the line of Seth must not be lost.  Self-reliance always leads to worship of self, while meekness before God has always been essential to biblical worship.
    • Ezra 4:8-23 Opposition under Xerxes and Artaxerxes:  This Scripture chronicles a letter sent from Judah's enemies to the newly crowned king.  Rehum the governor and Shimshai the court secretary wrote this letter to explain the current situation in Jerusalem.  They explain how the Jews returned from Babylon to rebuild the rebellious and evil city.  They go on to tell the King how they wanted him to know because they are so loyal.  WHAT A HOOT!!!!  The king, being intelligent, sees right through it.  NOT!  He gives these men power to STOP THE REBUILDING and they RUN (not walk) to Jerusalem, "with a show of strength, they force the Jews to stop building."  (Spoiler alert - the story's not over yet!!!!)
    • Matthew:  I love reading Jesus' Words (in red).  I can imagine His presence (which I assume to be FELT) while reading His Words.  Breathtaking!
    • Acts 4:23-31 The Believers Pray for Courage:  Peter and John are released from the leading priests and elders and share the situation with the other Believers.  "All the believers lifted their voices together in prayer to God:  O Sovereign Lord, creator of heaven and earth, the sea, and everything in them-You spoke long ago by the Holy Spirit through our Ancestors David, Your servant, saying:  Why were the nations so angry?  Why did they waste their time with futile plans?  The king of the earth prepared for battle; the rulers gathered together against the LORD and again His Messiah.....But everything they did was determined beforehand according to your will.  And now, O Lord, hear their threats, and give us, Your servants, great boldness in preaching Your word.  Stretch out Your hand with healing power; may miraculous signs and wonders be done through the name of Your hold servant, Jesus."  Now, THAT'S a prayer!
I can't wait to see what morsels He has for me to read next week!!!!

No comments: