Online Bible Study

Online Bible Study

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

The One Year Book of Encouragement by Harold Myra

Although I have had this book for several weeks and have read/pondered numerous entries, I still feel unprepared to write this blog. However, I have a feeling I won’t feel prepared after 365 days of daily reading. This is an amazing book that I, NO DOUBT, will be reading daily for years to come.

I enjoy reading numerous devotional books: Oswald Chambers’ My Utmost for His Highest, Max Lucado’s Grace for the Moment, Henry and Richard Blackaby’s Experiencing God Day by Day, to name a few. But I must confess The One Year Book of Encouragement by Harold Myra will be placed near the top of the list of readings/recommendations to friends!

This devotional of encouragement is compiled of “Scriptural Wisdom” from numerous Christian pastors, missionaries, and Spiritual leaders that were once (and remain) inspirations to Christians everywhere. The author provides his guidance for our use of this resource: “Start with today’s date, or start anywhere. Read and pray through the daily devotions, or read several entries when you have the time. Personally, I mark the ones that hit home and copy quotes to carry with me. These challenges and prayers are for life as we meet it, in all its challenges, in all its opportunities, in all its wonder and race from the loving Father.”

A few days ago I read these words from Thomas A Kempis: “if we keep the hour of our death always in mind and daily prepare ourselves to die, then we are blessed.” I am reminded of the wisdom of my mother-we are not promised one more day on this earth, we must live as if today is the last-show love to everyone (including strangers and those who dislike you), apologize for any wrong-doing on your part (even when it’s difficult and uncomfortable), tell your family and friends what they mean to you, go to bed each night with no regrets.

Tyndale House Publishers has provided me with a complimentary copy of this book.

No comments: