Online Bible Study

Online Bible Study

Monday, June 18, 2012

Choose Joy Because Happiness Isn't Enough

What drew me to this book was the author’s name:  Kay Warren.  If you’re familiar with the book “The Purpose Driven Life,” then you know her husband, Pastor Rick Warren.  Our Church family studied The Purpose Driven Life together; many years ago.  Honestly, the book changed my life.  I have reread/studied the book numerous times over the last several years and I continue to be blessed/changed every time I reread it.
The second thing that drew me to this book was the title:  “Choose Joy because Happiness Isn’t Enough.”  How TRUE is that statement?  It seems to me the world continually looks for instant happiness, but Christians should be consumed with an insatiable desire for joy.  The author defines joy as, “deeper than happiness, lasts longer than excitement, and is more satisfying than pleasure and thrills.  Joy is richer.  Fuller.  And it’s far more accessible than you’ve thought.”  She goes on to say, “Joy comes from God…and it can be yours!  Today.” 
When I opened this beautiful book, the first thing I noticed was the first page of each chapter.  Each chapter page states the title of the chapter, a relevant Scripture reference, and a photo of a peaceful field.  I love God’s creation and marvel at peaceful fields, tranquil waters, and glorious mountain tops!  The next page shares a quote that applies to the chapter.  I LOVE to read Scriptures and quotes.  I read both every single day. 
Of the numerous things I loved in this book, I will focus my review on two of them: 
The first was how many times the New International Version of the Bible references joy, merriment, happiness, laughing and rejoicing - 545 times.  Compared to the number of mentions of sorrow, pain, tears and suffering – only 158 times.  The Bible is a BOOK OF JOY!
Second, this reminder:  “A fundamental part of expressing trust in God is learning how to gaze at Him and only glance at our problems.”  AMEN!  Doesn’t that say it all?  FOCUS ON HIM!
I thoroughly enjoyed this book and will keep it on my desk at work.  I want to open/reread/ponder/remind myself of His love and His joy!  This book is awesome!
You can sign up to receive 30 Days of “Choose Joy Devotions.”  Connect daily with Kay Warren through free Choose Joy video devotions.  For thirty days you’ll receive an email from Kay, sharing the concepts from Choose Joy in her warm, conversational style.  She’ll share not only her personal struggle to live a joyful life but also the truth that joy is available to anyone who seeks it.   Visit:  http://kaywarren.com/devotions/
This fabulous book is available April 2012 at your favorite bookseller from Revell, a division of Baker Publishing Group.  Pick up a copy today!

No comments: