Online Bible Study

Online Bible Study

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

NEW audio-book review

I like to listen to books on CD while driving to work in the mornings. I always listen to Christian books (or sermons I've downloaded from the web). It's a fabulous way to start the day, expecially after completing my quiet time with the Father on the "porch". The afternoon commute is dedicated to NPR - so I have some small clue of what is going on in the world. I find the information I can obtain in approximately 30 minutes is quite sufficient!

This morning, after FINALLY completing "Providence" - I popped in a new book for review (provided by christianaudioreviewers program (http://christianaudio.com). By the title, I thought it would be appropriate for my day (as I have a heavy heart for several grieving friends). The title: When Helping Hurts, I thought would address getting "too involved" in other's pain. (I tend to do that quite a bit, as I have had my fair share of grieving). Boy, was I wrong. The book starts off on a high note regarding missionaries assisting God in changing the life of a witch-doctor in a foreign country (I can't remember which country). He (the author) is amazed that he was able to assist God in this life changing event. Shortly thereafter, however, he begins to ponder how her life was changed in a negative way - by eliminating her only source of income and becoming an outcast (and endangering her life). Well, this was not my plan; and I almost turned the CD off. On second thought, I had a feeling God was trying to teach me something, so I let the book play. I was able to surmise that God wanted me to appreciate my numerous blessings; especially being born in the United States of America.

When I arrive at work (Naval Station Norfolk) most mornings, I am blessed to hear the National Anthem playing over the loud speakers. All individuals and automobiles are to stop and direct their attention to the US flag. Although I always sing along and feel a deep sense of respect and appreciation, today my appreciation went MUCH deeper. We are so blessed to live in a country where we can express our Christian views freely. I pray you are able to find something to be thankful for today too! More to come on this book soon.....

No comments: