Online Bible Study

Online Bible Study

Saturday, August 20, 2011

Amazing Interview between James Paterson and his mother, Katherine Paterson

As you may know, Katherine Paterson was named the Library of Congress' National Ambassador for Young People's Literature. She is the Newbery Award-Winning author of Bridge to Terabithia.

The article beings:

In what is surely not the first conversation of its kind, John Paterson sits across the table from his idol and mother, Katherine Paterson. Since the publication of his children's book, Katherine is now more than an idol, more than a mother, she is also a peer. His book, Roberto's Trip to the Top, is co-written with his dad, John Paterson, Sr. And if the time ever comes to adapt it for film, it will surely be produced and/or written by John's brother, David who did the same for Katherine's Newbery Award-winning novel, Bridge to Terabithia. This is a family business.

One of the questions/answers I most enjoyed:

JP: Speaking of books that you love, if you had to name four or five books that you would take to a desert island, what books would you name?

KP: This is such a hard question, because you want to get the most out of the books you have there. So I would take the Bible and the Oxford English Dictionary. Those will keep me occupied for some time. The Master of Hestviken by Sigrid Undset, which is a huge volume and I love it. I can't read it in the original Norwegian, but she was the first woman to win the Nobel Prize, as a matter of fact. And she has written Kristin Lavransdatter, but I think I prefer The Master of Hestviken. And then I have to take the collective poems of Gerard Manley Hopkins, my favorite poet. And Gilead by my favorite modern writer, Marilynn Robinson.

Read more here:
http://www.oprah.com/oprahsbookclub/Author-Katherine-Paterson-After-Bridge-to-Terabithia/4#ixzz1VaBUlQgX

No comments: